Thursday, July 9, 2009

Wikipedia's trust issues

When researching subjects on the internet, most often the first search returned is from Wikipedia.org. However, the fact that this is the first on the list does not mean all of its information is correct. According to an NPR article, Virgil Griffith is a Cal Tech graduate who has created a program that traces the IP addresses of Wikipedia's anonymous editors. Griffith's program will show how biased the entry's contributor is.
I have used Wikipedia an innumerable amount of times. However, it is never my only source. In my opinion, the online encyclopedia is trustworthy only when the article appears unbiased and factual. I would certainly not trust it on its own when researching political topics. I like Wikipedia because it is easy to read and gives a variety of information on every topic.

NOTE: I did not read the email until after I wrote this so this blog is the original one from the syllabus, not the replacement one.

No comments:

Post a Comment