Monday, June 22, 2009

Fischbowl Response

When it comes to Karl Fisch's blog on technologically illiterate teachers, I both agree and disagree. First I will explain how I agree. I am twenty years old and for the greater part of my life, technology and computers especially have been integrated into my school experience. Whether it was keyboarding class in high school or learning how to look up a book using a computer at the library in elementary school, for my generation it has slowly become unacceptable to be computer illiterate. It is now necessary for teachers to state a maximum of internet sources that can be used on papers since it is possible to complete a research paper without ever opening a book. Although it seems early to learn computer skills in elementary, a student must start somewhere. In college now, it is impossible to make the grades and have every advantage available without sufficient computer literacy.
On the other hand, how early is too early? When I send my children to school, they are there to learn more important skills than just computer skills, they are there to learn life skills. School throws children into a social atmosphere in which they must learn to survive. I cannot teach my child how to share attention and resources with 25 other children; school can. I think it is acceptable for a certain amount of time to be set aside to learn computer skills, but it should not be the motivation of learning. With TV and video games, it is already hard enough for children to be motivated to play outside, read a book or make new friends. Causing computers to be a main theme in our children's lives too early will only inhibit their ability to find enjoyment in learning outside of a solo realm. A child must learn how to function in society trusting his or her own self, not a technological facade.

No comments:

Post a Comment